Jamaican Beef Patties
3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoon curry powder
3/4 cup ice water
1 tablespoon Vinegar
2 egg yolks
1 egg (Egg Wash)
1/4 cup water (Egg Wash)
2 tablespoon peanut oil
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon chopped Scotch Bonnet pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup bread crumbs
1 dash fresh ground pepper
- Combine flour, salt, and curry powder in work bowl of food processor, pulse to combine.
- Add the butter or shortening and process until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- In a bowl combine water, vinegar, and egg yolks.
- Add wet mixture to work bowl and pulse until a ball forms.
- Cover dough in plastic wrap and let rest in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat, add onions, scallions, thyme, and Scotch bonnet peppers.
- When onion begins to soften, add ground beef, salt, and enough water to barely cover meat, simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add bread crumbs and adjust with salt and pepper, allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 6-inch circles.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the meat filling onto half of each dough round.
- Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash.
- Fold the dough over the filling to make a half moon shape and press to seal.
- Place the patties on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes.
- If making the cocktail size, cut the dough into 3-inch circles.