Prime Rib Roast
1 prime rib roast (5lb/2.5kg)
1 tablespoon Mustard powder
2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 teaspoon onion salt
2 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- In a small bowl, combine mustard powder, salt, garlic salt, onion salt, celery salt, and allspice.
- Using a sharp knife, make several deep slits in the roast to form pockets of different depths. Rub seasoning mixture into meat and pockets. Set aside, can sit in fridge for up to two hours.
- Place roast directly on smoker rack and lay rosemary on top. Smoke at 225F – 250F for up to three hours (longer if roast has bone in) until meat thermometer registers 130F in thickest part of roast for medium-rare finish. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- I cut mine off the rack of rib bones, and tie it into a cylinder for more even cooking.
- Written for the smoker, but no reason why you cant do this an oven. I would sear it first, then cook till it hits 132 in the center.