Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 carrots (sliced)
2 cup mushrooms, quartered
1 onion, small (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon each dried tarragon, salt and pepper
75 milliliter all purpose flour (1/3 cup)
1 3/4 cup each milk and sodium-reduced chicken stock
2 cup green beans (cut, 2-inch/5cm lengths)
3 cup cooked chicken (shredded)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
75 milliliter cold butter, cubed (1/3 c)
150 milliliter milk (2/3 c)
- *Chicken Mixture:
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots, mushrooms, onions, tarragon, salt & pepper until onion is softened – about 8 minutes.
- Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk & stock; bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add beans.
- Reduce heat & simmer, stirring often, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and mustard.
- Spoon into round 8-cup (2L) baking dish; set aside.
- (Make-ahead directions: Let cool for 30minutes, refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Cover & refrigerate for up to 2 days, rewarm in microwave to continue).
- *Biscuit Topping:
- In food processor, pulse together flour, baking powder and salt; pulse in butter until crumbly.
- Drizzle in milk, pulsing just until soft sticky dough forms.
- Turn out onto floured surface; knead 10 times or until smooth.
- Pat out to fit top of baking dish.
- Cut into 8 wedges; arrange over chicken mixture.
- Bake on rimmed baking sheet in 400F (200C) oven until biscuits are golden and no longer doughy on bottom, about 40 minutes.