Chicken a la King
1 pound mushrooms, fresh
1 green pepper, chopped (green! )
1 cup mini carrots
3 cup chicken, cooked, chopped (and preferably smoked)
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon each: dried sage, thyme and savoury
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cup Milk
1/4 cup half and half cream
- In a big pot, heat the butter and add the green pepper, carrots and mushrooms.
- Cook for about 5 – 7 minutes till the green pepper s soften a bit.
- Add herbs
- Lower the burner to “low” and add the flour and salt pepper. Keep stirring, it will make a bubbly pasty mess.
- Add the milk, bream and broth, mix well and heat to boiling.
- Add peas
- Boil for 1 minute and serve immediately.
- Ideal over rice, but great over noodles or biscuits too