Sweet & Sour Meatballs
2 pounds of lean ground beef
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon dried sage
2 Cans Pineapple pieces (drained and reserve the juice)
2/3 cups of water
1 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
6 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 large carrots, diced
1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 large red pepper, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Mix the ground beef and eggs together.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice and sage together, then mix into the ground beef.
- Using your palms, roll out small meatballs, about 10 to a quarter pound, 80 for the whole batch.
- Arrange meatballs on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take the pineapple juice from both cans, and top off with water till it measures 2 cups
- Pour into a dutch oven
- Add 2/3 cups of water, vinegar and soy sauce, heat it all up over medium heat (dont boil)
- In a bowl, mix the ginger, cornstarch and seasoned salt, then sift into the juice mixture, stirring constantly till it thickens up.
- At this point, the sauce does not smell very good. Trust it, it will be awesome.
- Add the meatballs, carrots, peppers and pineapple to the sauce and stir it all up. It wont look like much sauce, but as the peppers cook, they will release more liquids.
- Cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, till the peppers are at a texture you can live with.
- Done. Drop mic, walk offstage.
- Serve over rice.
- I steamed my carrots to half-done to give them a head start.
Leave A Comment