1 pound Ground Lamb
1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
1 green pepper (finely chopped)
1 Tomato (finely chopped)
2 tablespoon olive oil (to sauté the vegies)
2 tablespoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
5 8″ Pita Shells
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
1 bunch Parsley
2 cup Yogurt (Plain)
- Combine the spices, diced veg, and ground lamb, mix until well incorporated.
- Season with S+P to taste
- Fill the pitas (slice, make a pocket), brush with olive oil
- Put on baking pan, wrapped loosely in foil
- Bake at 400 for 30-40 mins
- Meanwhile, blend yogurt, parsley, and garlic in a food processor, chill
- Bread should crisp up, not crunchy but have some bite, not be mushy.
- Cut pitas like pizza into triangles, serve hot with chilled sauce
- I have tried this recipe with half the all spice and it was also well received – less rich but still very flavourful.
- This is the equivalent to our Meat Loaf to the Egyptians