2 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground)
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (Can up this to 3/4)
2 teaspoon Paprika
2 teaspoon Garlic powder
2 teaspoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Salt
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 package pita bread
1 pinch Dried, flaked basil
- Mix meat, spices, and breadcrumbs thoroughly. Place in loaf pan and knead down so as to remove all air pockets. Bake in oven at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix milk and sugar well, add basil and vinegar then mix again. Chill in refrigerator. Add a little vinegar to thicken sauce if desired.
- Quickly run both sides of pita bread under cold water then place in pre-heated skillet with small amount of vegetable oil. Flip bread to heat both sides, don’t let it sit too long as it will stick.
- Once bread is warmed add thinly sliced strips of meat and pour sauce over top. Add diced tomatoes and onions and serve.
- These little gems hail from Halifax originally, as apparently us east coasters aren’t into garlic (no one told me this, btw).
- If you want to have a somewhat more “authentic” beef gyro experience, try our Lebanese Garlic Sauce instead.
Leave A Comment