2 1/2 cups water
1 stick cinnamon
1 TBS Green cardamom seeds
4 black tea tea bags (or Darjeeling)
5 coins of fresh ginger
1 TSP Fennel Seed
1/2 TSP course cracked black pepper (or 1 TSP black peppercorns)
3 Star Anise
2 cups milk
3 TSP brown sugar
- Add all your spices to a mortar
- Rough chop the ginger, add it in the there too
- Pound that out a bit to release the flavours. Dont grind to a powder but break it up real good.
- In a small pot, bring the water and spices to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Add the black tea
- Steep for 10 minutes
- Strain out all the bits and return the tea to the heat
- Add brown sugar
- Add milk
- Heat, pour and enjoy!
- There is no true recipe for chai. They all have Tea, Spices, Sweetener and Milk.