Fudgy Chocolate Cardamom Cinnamon Cake
1 1/2 cup brown sugar (muscova works well)
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (1/2 to 3/4 cup)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and cardamon
1 pinch Salt
1 egg white
3/4 cup milk soured with 1 tsp of lemon juice or buttermilk
3/4 cup strong coffee
1/3 cup oil or melted butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk (For icing) (FOR ICING)
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl, set aside.
- Beat together egg and egg white.
- Add milk, coffee and oil to eggs; whisk until fully blended.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour liquid into the well, whisk until just blended.
- Pour into greased pan, tapping to remove air bubbles.
- Bake @ 350F for 30 to 40 minutes (or until tester comes out clean).
- on top of a double boiler, or carefully on direct heat at a low to medium boil, simmer the entire can of sweetened condensed milk until it thickens and turns the colour of caramel. Use a whisk to stir continuously. Don’t worry if you get some burn bits, They are caramelized sugar.
- Once cake has cooled, spread the faux “dulche de leche” icing on top.
- Here is a video of how to make this icing/topping either in the pan, or within the can. My mom used to do this all the time in a can in her pressure cooker, and yes I have had the can explode so be careful…