Mussels with Spicy Italian Sausage
4 pound Mussels (cleaned, bearded, etc)
2 Hot Italian Sausage, large (chopped)
1 onion (coarsely chopped)
3 clove garlic (3 to 4 clv) (minced)
1/2 cup Dry Sherry
6 tomatoes (6 to 7), medium (chopped)
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1 dash salt and pepper
- Clean muscles and keep cool, remove open shells.
- In a large pot with a heavy bottom, warmed to medium add some olive oil and cook onions until soft or lightly brown.
- Add the sausage (Chopped) and cook until browned.
- Mix in the garlic and stir for 60 seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt to taste, cook for 2-3 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add sherry and Muscles stir reduce heat to medium/low (we want steam) and cover for 5 minutes.
- Add fresh parsley and fresh pepper to taste and stir and remove to large bowl and serve with a French baguette.
- Garnish with fresh basil