1 pound spaghetti
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound bacon, diced. (Yes, pancetta is traditional)
1 onion (chopped)
2 clove garlic (pressed)
1/4 cup dry white wine
6 eggs (Yes, egg yolks are traditional)
1/2 cup grated parmesan Reggiano cheese (Yes, pecorino is traditional)
1 dash Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta until its al dente, toss with a tablspoon of olive oil and put aside.
- In a bowl, mix the cheese, eggs and pepper well. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon, put it aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon fat. Drain the bacon in paper towels to absorn some fat.
- Fry the onions in the bacon pan until translucent, then add the garlic.
- Add the cooked bacon and the pasta into the pan, and get it all very hot.
- Put the pasta and bacon mix to a large (pre-heated) serving bowl.
- Pour in the egg/cheese and toss until the eggs are just set. Add more olive oil if too sticky.
- Garnish with parsley and some extra parmesan and serve immediately!
- While this is not exactly traditional, at least it doesn’t have cream or Velveeta!