Homemade Baked Beans
1 pound white pea beans (dry)
2 onions (sliced)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 pound bacon (or 2 cups of pulled pork, chopped)
- Place beans in large pot, add 4 cups of cold water. Let beans soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and boil them for ~45, until desired softness. Beans take a long time to soften more when they are in the oven, so get this part right!
- In a bean crock or casserole dish, place the onions
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup, molasses, salt, pepper, vinegar, sugar, mustard, BBQ sauce and chipotles.
- Drain and rinse beans, put them in the crock.
- Pour the ketchup mixture over the beans and stir gently. (Add bacon at this point, if not using pulled pork)
- Add water till beans are covered and bake at 250 for 6 hours.
- Remove one cup of beans and mash them in a bowl. Return to the beans and mix. (If not using bacon, add the pulled pork now)
- Bake for another hour
- Remove lid to allow the beans to darken, for another hour
- I’ve been making this recipe for nearly 20 years now
- Add water if the beans are getting dry, you wont dilute the taste (unless you add too much and make soup!)
- * This takes time, but is VERY much worth it.
- If you are in a rush, check out our other recipe for Quick Fire Beans But omit the chipotles