1 green chili (or other hot pepper in amounts to your taste)
5 clove garlic (minced)
1 ginger root, fresh (1 inch minced)
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon Chili powder (red)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon Curry (or more…)
1 teaspoon Garam Masala (a.k.a. “Indian Masala” or “Indian Spice”)
2 teaspoon tomato paste
2 can chick peas ( or 1 whole bad dried chick peas (previously soaked & cooked))
1 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco ( if you want to make it a little smokey)
- If you use the canned chick peas, rinse them well to remove the sodium. If using dried chick peas you have to soak them overnight in cold water. Then rinse, cover with water and boil until tender.
- Place in slow cooker, cover with water again. Variation use fresh or stewed tomatoes of equal volume to the cooked chick peas.
- Add in spices; stir well. Cover & cook on low setting for minimum of 24 hours. The longer this cooks the more pervasive the spices soak into the chick peas.
- To thicken the sauce, once cooked, remove & mash about 1/2 cup of the chick peas. Stir back into slow cooker.
- Can serve with grilled sausages, chicken or ham.
- Works well as a vegetarian meal on its own as well. Serve on rice or couscous.