12 Avacados very ripe
4 large Tomatoes
1 large red onion
Juice of 6 lemons
1 bunch of cilantro
about 5 jalapenos
salt to taste
- Dice up tomatoes and place in strainer *1
- wash cilantro and lay out paper towel
- squeeze lemons and put juice in a cup
- dice red onion
- finley dice jalapenos seeds and pigment (use gloves) *2
- remove stems from cilantro and chop
- halve avacados and scoop out insides into a large plastic bowl *3
- Start by mashing avacados by hand untill smooth *4
- Start adding HALF of the cilantro, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, lemon juice and a bit of salt
- Mix and taste, If there is not enough of one of the ingredients add some more eg. not enough heat add more jalapenos, not tangy enough add more lemon, cant taste cilantro add more and so on.
- cover so saran wrap is directly on Guac and lightly press down and push out air, refridgerate for a few hours this will allow flavors to blend, taste and re ajust seasonings if needed.
- take about 2 cups of Guac and put into ziplock freezer bags then close them up leaving open a little bit in the middle then lay flat on counter and gently even out so all air is pushed out then finish sealing bag. I then lay them flat in the freezer, when i need some I just bust off a chunk and thaw, it freezes very well and has only a little liqued with it.
- I like to use tomatoes with very little seeds and pulp, if there is a lot of seeds and pulp in your tomatoes discard this and just use the meaty part, you might have to increase the amount of tomatoes.
- I use all of the jalapeno (seeds and pigment) because your adding a bit at a time so you can control the amount of heat if you just use the pepper itself you might be running out for more peppers when it is not hot enough!
- Avocados need to be in a plastic or glass bowl otherwise they will react with the steel and start to turn brown. VERY IMPORTANT The little piece on the top of the avocado where the stem joins the avocado is hard as a rock and must be removed, if it accidently gets into your guac and someone bites into it they will be loosing a tooth, look at picture no 2. I just cut the surface of the avocado length ways and then turn the avocado till sliced all the way around, then i tap the core with the blade of the knife and twist and it pops right out, to get if off the blade i tap it on the corner of the sink easy!
- I mash the avocados till smooth finding all the lighter, harder parts of the avocado. I get the chunky texture from the onions and tomatoes