Thomson’s Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
1 HUGE batch
8 pound extra lean ground beef
4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 pound yellow onions, chopped
2 pound baby carrots, chopped fine
2 garlic bulbs, chopped (not minced)
8 can diced tomatoes ((28 oz / 769 ml) )
3 can stewed tomatoes ((28 oz / 769 ml) )
3 can tomato paste ((12 oz / 369 ml) )
2 can tomato sauce ((24 oz / 680 ml) )
4 can tomato soup
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce
3 tablespoon hot sauce (I use Cholula)
5 tablespoon dried oregano
3 tablespoon dried basil
2 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
2 teaspoon dried sage
3 teaspoon celery salt
2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
6 tablespoon white sugar
- In a giant stock pot, add all the can contents, including all fluids.
- Fry up half the meat (in 2 or more batches) in order to get some good consistency to the sauce.
- Add cooked and the raw ground beef to the pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots to the pot.
- Add all the herbs and sugar to the pot.
- Simmer on “Low” all day, at least 6 – 8 hours.
- This sauce is always better the next day. Avoid serving on pasta on Day 1 if you can.
- That said, I have a baguette beside the stove that I tear pieces off and dunk in the sauce as I snack and sample all day long.
Leave A Comment