1 tablespoon olive oil
100 gram smoked sausage or smoked bacon ((cut into bite-sized pieces))
1 medium onion (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (minced or crushed)
2 stalks celery (chopped finely)
1 green pepper (chopped)
2 chicken breasts ((boneless, skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces))
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup easy cook long grain rice
750 milliliter chicken stock ((water can be used))
2 bay leaves
2 tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
2 tablespoon tomato paste
100 gram prawns peeled ((9-10 Medium shrimp))
24 fresh mussels (bearded and cleaned)
1 tablespoon Parsley (fresh chopped)
1 black pepper to taste (Freshly ground)
- Heat oil in a wok, add the smoked sausage or bacon. Cook until sausage is browned or bacon is crisp.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and green pepper. Stir fry until vegetables soften.
- Add the raw chicken then cayenne, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until chicken loses pink color.
- Add rice, chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato puree and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Lift lid, enjoy aroma and add the prawns and prepared mussels. Cover and continue cooking for another ten minutes
- Check that the mussel shells are all open. If not, stir well and cook a little longer. (60 seconds)
- Serve and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- To prepare mussels, discard any which remain open and do not close when tapped.
- Also discard any with damaged shells. Scrub them under cold running water, pulling any seaweed (beard) from joint in shell.
- Goes very well with red wine or beer.
Leave A Comment