“Limoncello” is locked
20 lemons large (Costco or Farmboy are best bets)
750 milliliter Vodka (No need for good stuff)
750 milliliter 180 proof alcohol (95%)
750 milliliter Distilled water (do not use tap water)
4 cup white sugar
- Wash lemons well and dry them, then completely zest them (avoid the white peel, this will make the drink bitter).
- Add lemon zest to a one gallon jar (with tight fitting cover).
- Add vodka and alcohol, cover tightly and store in a cool, dark place.
- Gently shake every other day – continue process for 40 days.
- Boil distilled water and add sugar to dissolve then let cool completely
- Once cool add to lemon zest/alcohol mixture.
- Return jar to cool dark place and gently shake up the jar every couple of days for another 40 days.
- Have smaller bottles cleaned and dried, strain mixture to remove zest and bottle the product.
- Keep in freezer so its cold and thick when you want to serve it.
- Old lemon zest can be re-used in cakes, muffins, lemon bread, etc.
- Val obtained this recipe from a tour bus driver in Italy who had his own lemon orchard in his back yard, he had some with him on the bus. Go figure.