Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 large Andouille or Hot Italian sausages
1 medium sweet onion halved and thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups can Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
12 ounces penne pasta
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp Frank’s hot sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan for topping
- Apply some Cajun seasoning or a spicy rub to the breasts and grill them along with the sausages until cooked to perfection, adding the onion, pepper, and garlic part-way through.
- Cook the pasta in salted water al dente, according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes and sausages into 1/2 inch slices.
- Add the onion, red pepper, and garlic to a skillet over medium heat and sautee for a few minutes, adding the chicken and sausage once done.
- Add Cajun seasoning and flour, toss to coat. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper flakes, and hot sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Pour in the half-and-half and heat through. The longer you cook the sauce the thicker it will get so simmer it until it is the consistency you want, 15-20 minutes.
- Add the basil and let it simmer for another few minutes.
- Finally, mix the chicken and sausage sauce with the pasta and serve. Top each serving with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with Garlic Bread and side salad