Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
- Chicken Spices:
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cup chicken stock
2 pound Chicken (boneless, skinless thighs are best)
1 onion (sliced)
9 tortillas (9 to 10)
2 cup monteray jack cheese (shredded)
- Main Prep
- Mix and rub the chicken spices over all the chicken pieces.
- Grill or smoke or fry the chicken.
- Fry up the onion, nice and dark. Caramelize it if you want.
- The sauce/roux
- In a pot, melt the butter on med-high, bring it to a “boil”.
- Add flour and whisk well, return to boil and stirring constantly.
- Add half the stock, mix it and add the other half, return to boil. Stir constantly.
- Add the sour cream, mix well, find desired consistency and and set aside.
- In an open tortilla, place some chicken, onion and some cheese.
- Roll up the tortilla, and pan fry to crisp the tortilla a bit
- Place seam-down in a 9×13 pan.
- Once the pan is full, pour the sauce all over the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Place in BBQ/Smoker/Oven for ~20-25 minutes at 400.
- Top with picante sauce, sour cream and/or jalapenos and serve.
- These are quite rich, be careful!
- Next time i make these, I might add some Mexican rice into the enchiladas.