Quick Fire Beans
6 can white navy beans
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Brown sugar (packed)
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 onions (medium, chopped)
2 clove garlic (minced or chopped)
1 can Herdes Chipotle peppers
1 pound bacon (sliced into 1/2″ long pieces)
- Rinse the beans and drain
- Fry the bacon till crispy, drain in paper towels and set aside (reserve 2 tbspn of bacon fat)
- Fry up the onions and garlic in the reserved bacon fat till the onion is soft and translucent.
- On a cutting board, pour out the chipotle can contents, and chop it all up.
- In a bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add the chipotle mess.
- In a big bean crock (I used a roasting pan…a 9×13 glass pan would work too) mix the beans, bacon, onion/garlic and sauce
- Bake in the oven, covered for 1 – 2 hours. Take cover off for 15 minutes to darken more, if desired.
- I know this isn’t technically “quick”, but it’s quicker than soaking beans overnight, boiling and then baking them for 7 hours like my other baked beans recipe
- Rinse the beans well, they kinda stink!
- For Canadian readers, I buy these peppers at Sobey’s, YIG, Roblaws…
- I chopped my garlic instead of pressing last time