2 onions (2 or 3 medium, depending on how much you like onion)
3 clove garlic
1 can tomato sauce (213 ml)
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon mild chilli powder
2 cup red kidney beans (dry)
1 dried cillantro (or cillantro paste)
1 dash lime juice
- Wash dry kidney beans. Let Kidney Beans soak overnight in 4 cups of water. Drain.
- Cook kidney beans in 4 cups of water, for 1 hour until soft. Drain.
- Mash red kidney beans using a food processor. Adjust thickness with very small amounts of water. You want a nice paste consistency.
- Chop the onion and garlic into very small pieces. Saute in 4 tbsp of cooking oil, until onions are transparent. Be carefull not to burn garlic.
- Add the tomato sauce, the cumin, and the chilli powder. Stir and let simmer for a minute.
- Add your red kidney bean paste, stir well. Bring heat down to medium-low. Add cillantro and a few squirts of lime juice.
- Heat for 3 minutes while constanly stirring. Use a bowl scraper to stir as the paste will stick to the sides or the pan easily.
- Serve hot or refrigirate.
- This recipe is great cold too. You can use it as a spread/dip with a vegetable platter.
- Use canned beans for a quick version