Mussels a la Firlotte
4 pound mussels, (sorted, cleaned (de-bearded, de-barnacled, left in shells))
1 bottle of Stella Artois
1 onion, medium (diced)
3 celery (stalks, diced or thinly sliced)
1 handful of celery greens
6 clove garlic (6 to 8 clv) (thinly sliced)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic plus seasoning
1 pinch saffron
1 dash sea salt (to taste)
1 dash fresh ground pepper (to taste)
1 dash dried parsley (to taste)
- Clean and rinse mussels sorting out the undesirables, and place in large pot. Pour in bottle of beer, add remaining ingredients. Swirl pot around a little to mix things up.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat and place pot on grill, closing lid, and opening another beer.
- Check mussels after 20 minutes, shells should be opened up, the meat a nice color and has pulled away from the shells.
- Serve with sliced baguette or bread of choice.
- Sorted means tossing out any suspect shellfish, any with a broken shell or that are opened up wide are usually dead and deadly…