Red Fruit Ketchup
6 Red tomatoes
6 onions (large)
3 green peppers (large)
3 teaspoon Salt
2 cup Vinegar
5 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Pickling spice
- Boil water in a pot. Score all tomatoes and peaches with a shallow X at the bottom of the fruit. With a slotted spoon, one at a time, dunk tomatoes and peaches in the boiling water for 5-10 seconds. Dunk in cold water and peel away skin.
- Peel pears.
- Cut all fruits and vegetables into large chunks.
- Put pickling spice into mousseline or cheese cloth (don’t mix the spices into the rest of the ingredients).
- Place everything in a pot, and let simmer uncovered for an hour.
- Can and let cool.
- This stuff has a very nice sweet and sour taste that goes well with all kinds of stuff; sausage, pork and salmon in particular.
- The recipe makes enough for a years worth of consumption, at least for our house hold.