Roasted Tomato Balsamic Parmesan Soup
12 roma tomatoes
6 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
1 tsp coarse kosher or sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus extra for drizzle
1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Halve tomatoes and place skin side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Add unpeeled garlic to pan. Drizzle tomatoes and garlic with 2 Tbsp olive oil, coarse salt and black pepper. Roast for 45 minutes, remove garlic from pan and set aside to cool. Continue roasting tomatoes for 15-30 more minutes until the underside skin is browned.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Peel roasted garlic and add it to the pan with onions along with the tomatoes and stock. The stock should just cover the tomatoes. Add 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- Serve with croutons and parmesan garnish, alongside fancy pants grilled cheese sandwiches for maximum fancy pants effect.
- Use an immersion blender to obtain a coarse, rustic texture. Using a Vitamix or other superblender will render it too smooth and rob the soup of its fancy pants character.